December 23, 2016

Comfy Christmas: Ohh Lulu 'True North' Set

December is almost at a close already, which is fine with me. It's my least favorite month second to January (because fuck cold) because fuck the cold. But December carries a lot of familial obligation with it, and family tends to lead a bitter taste in my mouth.  In fact I don't think I cared much for Christmas until my partner and I moved in together and I didn't have to go home for the holidays anymore. 
This particular December had both sides of the coin: I left my job as a bra fitter, which is bittersweet to say the least, and left myself without an income for the holidays - but without a lot of stress as well. As much as I miss my customers, educating folks on the truths and lies of lingerie, and having something to do a few days a week, I won't miss being undervalued in an environment that I have devoted myself to for the last year and a half. My best friend, who was also my manager, has moved into my house - that one is simply sweet, except for bathroom traffic. I also finished Gilmore Girls and the Office this month so...While I may not be paid, that was a lot like a job as well. And to save the best for last?? I gained a good ten pounds out of nowhere, despite all my gym efforts, and don't fit in to half of my bottoms, as if it isn't bad enough to outgrow my bras and button-down tops every six months. 
I wanted something really good for my Christmas lingerie; something comfy and maybe a little cutesy, something completely different from anything I have, but nothing too sexy or form-fitting since I'll hate myself in it and my shape will be changing soon. I don't remember how I stumbled across this - probably in a fog of Treeline cheese and pita chips and the Gilmore drama - but I wanted it as soon as I saw it.  Ohhh Lulu is a brand that I've looked at every few months for a few years now, and never died over anything...until now.  I love mesh as an accent to other patterns, almost as much as I love plaid. There's something so cozy chic about it, makes you wanna drink hot cocoa by the fire and knit something naughty. It's the first time I've squealed over lingerie in a while, I'm happy to admit. 

Naturally, being myself, I found this in December instead of in October, when I should have been searching for Christmas lingerie. Because all Ohhh Lulu items are handmade, I was worried it wouldn't come in time for Christmas. I messaged Sarah in a frenzy of brattiness, and she was kind enough to rush it for me. Far, far too kind, in fact, because I ended up getting it to me a full week before Christmas. I am eternally grateful, and so happy, because I had an opportunity to test-drive it and give it a wash before reviewing it. Spoiler alert: I've been test-driving it for like three days straight and it won't stop anytime soon. 

This set is handmade to my measurements and bra size and holy shit it shows. It straight-up feels like I'm wearing nothing in this set. The mesh is standard black, soft tight-knit mesh with great stretch, and the fabric is a soft jersey. (Was hoping for flannel underwear, not gonna lie #lumberjackhoe)


Check out those marks from my too-tight clothes! Nice! 
These briefs are a dream. I gave Sarah my measurements for my waist and hip, and she made these the perfect amount of tight to stay up, and loose enough to not cut in. A full mesh back with a plaid jersey piece in the front that goes through the gusset, lined with soft satin elastic. I'm not lying or exaggerating when I say I can't feel these when I'm wearing them - I want these in every pattern. 
Speaking of which, all these patterns are available for purchase in a separate Etsy shop, and although I haven't dusted off my sewing machine in a good year or three, this may be the perfect occasion to do so. 

After putting on this wire-free bra, I don't know why I've ever been wearing a wire. I guess for the shaping and support, but this is the best bra for being unemployed and laying around the house and leaving only for tiny errands. Although I've definitely worn this out for a whole day, and I don't care about jiggle anymore. 
This was made to my measurements as well and I can't say enough about how well this thing fits. My tissue fits in the cup perfectly, and because it's a flexible fabric I'm confident that I could probably make this work through at least a 30GG if not a 30H, since I'll probably get there within a year or two. The band is loose enough that it feels like it's floating off my body - in a good way - and snug enough that I get decent support without it riding up my back crazy far. The straps are satin elastic as well, and fully adjustable if I wanted to hike these puppies up real far.

The cup construction is sort of a three-part: one vertical seam straight up the middle, with a seam going between the mesh and the jersey. Really, shapewise, it's more of a two-part, with a sort of retro feel. There's also a seam in between the two cups for some separation, as the cups are somewhat pocketed. It doesn't give mush separation, but enough for me! A satin elastic lines the top of the bra, from back hook to back hook, cinching the top in and keeping it close to my body with enough softness that I don't spill out.  The band is an elastic with a soft lined inside, about half an inch wide, stitched all the way to the hooks in the back. I think the only thing I would change, if anything, would be to use a firmer elastic, but it would only be so I can wear this every day of my life in every situation. 

As far as the shape it gives, it's obviously nothing like a bra - but it gives me good enough lift and control to get through my day. It definitely lets me have more of my splayed, wide-set natural shape, but let's be real, I have no one to impress anymore.

I've only washed this set once so far, in cold water on the delicate cycle in a lingerie bag, but it doesn't show any wear whatsoever. I didn't expect it to, and honestly I hope nothing would be effected by just one wash. It looks just as good as new. And I'm so glad, because I intend on wearing it into the ground. 

Merry Holidays! Hopefully you will be as lucky to find something as good as me in this set underneath your tree this year. Or under your menorah? Or maybe even under your back porch. Rest easy, eat sweets and veggies, and pet your dogs.