January 8, 2016

A Hopeless Lingerie Christmas

There's been a big lull on here, of which I am constantly thinking about but not acting on. The past two months have been a whirlwind in my household. My partner's extended hours throughout the month of November, and then absence for almost the month of December, coupled with a second job for myself and an international trip left little time for anything beyond eating, sleeping, working, and trying to love my pup in between. Little time and meager funds meant nothing to talk about.  I debated on a Christmas wishlist, but to be perfectly honest, my partner gifted me Hopeless Lingerie and a trip to Japan for Christmas, so there's nothing else to wish for (I try to tell my bratty ass self). We arrived back on the night of Christmas Eve to find packages for me! Lingerie is almost enough to make up for the fact that I'm not still in Tokyo eating ramen ten fuckin times a day!!!!

I haven't had anything from Hopeless since 2013 when I picked up a pair of faux leather garters. It was the first time I'd spent "big money" (70$) (I was just a baby) on something that was on the less practical side, so naturally it took a lot of courage-building to get myself to even consider receiving a whole set.  It may actually have been liquid courage that got to me to ask for this set, along with the free choker deal that was being run at the time. All I gotta say is: Drinking really pays off.

In my younger days, my hands used to shake as I opened delicate tissue paper, reluctant to rip apart any stickers, hyperventilating, but now - not even close. I tore this package open with a maybe a little too much reckless abandon and immediately tore off the clothes I'd been flying in for the past 20 hours, suddenly rejuvenated and ready to face a whole night of Christmas Eve festivities.

I first slid into the Jeanne Knickers, which I got in a Large. I obviously missed the fit notes that mentioned to size down if you find yourself in between sizes: My waist is 30 inches, putting me smack in the middle of Medium and Large, and this fabric's got great stretch. Thus, it's supposed to be a high-waisted brief, but on my tiny stumpy torso, it is high. A good two inches above my navel. And that's cool, because the diamond mesh is the most comfortable thing I've maybe ever had on my body, and the more it's touching, the better. It is so soft that I forgot to take it off before leaving, forgot I was wearing it, which never happens with any other highwaist panties I have, and forgot to change my underwear for the next 24-36 hours. The bamboo gusset really holds up.

The Lita Choker came next, which I also got in a Large, based on advice to go with your knicker size. If I'd followed the original advice to size down in the panties I'd be in business. It is still a fully adjustable choker that I can make work, with two sliding adjusters on each side of the neck. The back connects with a hook on one end that you put into the loop of the satin elastic choker on the other.  Just on my own finickyness, I'd rather not have both adjusters be on the front of the neck. Again, a sizing error that is completely at fault of my own.  This is my first time wearing a choker since I had one of those stretchy plastic ones at age 9, and I've really been working to find exactly how tight I want it without feeling like gagging, but still holding it high on my neck.

Last, I navigated my way through straps, hooks, and adjusters into the Rosemary Bralette, which I  got a Medium in based on recommendation to size down if you were in between sizes. In retrospect, this is the only tip I should have ignored. I'm 30in at my underbust, which puts me in the game for the Small, but my bust at the time was a 38, right in between the Medium and Large. As a 30FF, it's no secret that bralettes aren't really meant for me, and this was no exception. My gut told me to go with the Large, but the written word pulled me to the Medium, and I was worried about running out of adjustment slack on the underbust.

Hindsight is 20/20. I should I have gone with the Large. It doesn't help that I've grown half a cup size since I ordered back in early November, thanks to the godsend that is hormonal birth control. Spillage is a reality. An upsetting reality. This bralette still works well enough and feels amazing, and yields amazing visual results, but I'd be more comfortable with a little bit more coverage. The roundness and softness of my tum also makes the band roll in the front every time I move, but life goes on.

Sizing qualms aside, this set is still a success in my books, and the comfort is unrivaled.  Tiny roses take me back to a childhood of tacky-necked sweaters and days of the week underwear, and coupled with the dark mesh, this set has both edge and enough softness to temper the wound afterwards. The next time I find myself swimming in extra funds, or the excitement of a high-paying job, I may demand more Hopeless come my way.